Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

FOF - Etched Glass

Ready for more Christmas gifts 'unveiled' ? :)
When I saw these Glass Hurricanes I knew I had to make some!! Back in highschool I had done some glass etching so I was already familiar with it; and believe me it is soooo easy and quick!
This particular pair went to my SIL and her hubby and I also made a set for my Mom, unfortunately I forgot to pack Mom's in the car before we headed to FL for Christmas :( Do you like 'em, Mom? :)

My hurricanes turned out a little different than Melissa's; for one thing it seems every Dollar Store has different merchandise or at least mine does :) and I wasn't sure if hot glue would hold well for the 'long haul' so I used Liquid Nails. and let me tell ya' that glass ain't goin' NO where with Liquid Nails! I really love that stuff! The clincher for me to use that over Gorilla Glue is that Liquid Nails said right on the package that it was water proof! Does anyone know for sure if Gorilla Glue is?
First, I washed and dried everything good. Then I applied the Liquid Nails around the edge of the taper candle holder and then stuck that right to the center, bottom part of the hurricane. I did do this at night, so that it could cure all night and be ready to finish in the morning.
I thought it would be pretty easy to use my Cricut to make the stencil, just keep in mind to make sure you have the transperant side of the contact paper UP on the cricut mat. This is so your letters won't be backwards when you are ready to put them on the hurricane.
Next, you apply the glass etching cream on the letters of the stencil, wait 5 minutes and then rinse if off under hot water! and you're finished!! I'm sure it took me longer to right this post than it did to do the etching part! :)
Here's a closer look for ya!
Thanks for stoppin' by, now click on over to Chari's :) Happy Weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I've really been wanting to try that! And you make it sound do easy, I think you just convinced me :) Did you know you can get etched glass spray paint? Looks cool. I wonder which way is easier...
Anyway, your hurricanes look great! And what a nice gift, too!

Charity said...

Very pretty!! I would love to try etching sometime.