Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

"My" little hummers

One of my 'simple pleasures' is watching "my" hummingbirds. I first put out feeders three years ago and have been hooked ever since!!
For the longest time I've been meaning to get my camera out there and take some shots of these winged wonders and finally I took the time to just do it!!

I have two hummers that come very frequently and are best enemies!! They WILL NOT feed together they are constantly buzzing the other away from the feeder. They have provided us with lots of entertainment!
I was SUPER pleased to get these next two shots! Since they are best enemies I didn't think I would be able to get them both in the same frame!!! and relatively clear, too!

This year I was hoping to "add" another hummer. I know this may sound silly, but I actually prayed about it and not many days later a 3rd little hummer showed up at my feeder!!! (Thank you Jesus for caring about my simple prayers!) He hung around for a few days and I was able to get the three of them fighting over the feeder, unfortunately they are all blurry :(

This little guy prevailed over all the fighting that day! He would hover over the feeder keeping the other two away or he would rest in the foilage below the feeder.
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of hummingbird he is. The other hummer has a ruby-throat, but this one is white. Need to do more research! :)



He turned around a few times and I was able to get a back shot of his pretty colors. It was more towards dusk, so his plumage doesn't show up that well.
We also have other birdie friends that we enjoy watching on the feeders or in the bird bath. How about you? Do you have any fine feathered friends?

3 comments:

Charity said...

Such pretty little birds! I have a bird feeder hanging outside my kitchen window. I have a cardinal family, some tufted titmouse(mice?) and chickadees, as well as a few sparrows. I love my birds! :)

Brittany said...

Love your pics! We just put a birdbath outside our dining room window, and the boys (and I!) were thrilled when we spotted our first visitor :) Not sure what kind he was, but he was splashing around and having a great ole time! We have oodles of sparrows and love to watch them, too. Just noticed a little hummer on my porch - I think I need to get me a feeder!

Stephanie @ The Cozy Old Farmhouse said...

I miss my hummingbirds! I put out feeders in NC and we always had several that came around. We could walk right up to the tree and get within just a couple of feet of them and they'd still hang around. No luck with 'em in FL.