Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Easter Weekend

Our Easter was very relaxing this year! Friday after Jaron was done working we travelled to Steve and Angie's (Jaron's cousin, he was also in our wedding) place for a weekend stay. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!! (THANKS SO MUCH - we are looking forward to when we can get together, again!)
Jaron's parents, Jessica and a friend, Jeannie were staying at Uncle Mike and Aunt Ruth's place.
For our meal Friday night, we were all invited over to Nancy and Elim's house for a delicious meal. Nancy and Elim are Amish, and although, in their area they are considered more "liberal," they are still very much Amish. Of course, there wasn't any electricity in the house, any light was all by kerosene. I could have taken some pictures, but felt like I would be too conspicuous, so hopefully I can get some copies of the ones Aunt Ruth took, and then I'll post them.
They were very hospitable and friendly, in fact the "young ones" ended up staying there until midnight playing UNO attack and chatting. Jaron and Elim had plenty to talk about - Nancy said she never thought Elim would meet his match for how long he could talk :)
Nancy cooked a huge meal for all 13 of us, plus her family of 6, although they didn't eat with us. She made the very best scalloped potatoes I have ever had, and Angie gave me the recipe later :) There were two kinds of meat, scalloped potatoes, beets, bread, applesauce and these little tiny peppers that had been canned with something like a slaw mix in them, they were very good!! There were more veggies too, I just can't remember right now what they were :( and two desserts as well! No one went away hungry, for sure!!
Friday night was alittle bit rough sleeping for the girls, just because they were in new beds and were completely wound up from staying up so late!
Saturday we woke up to find 6 INCHES OF SNOW!!! (Very annoying! but at least it melted off pretty quick!)
We went to quite a few different Amish stores for some shopping and I picked up two Amish cookbooks! One is about canning and the other was highly recommended by both Steve and Angie. Then in the afternoon, we went back to the house, the girls finally took their naps :) YAY! Steve and Jaron played X box games and Angie, Jess and I played SkipBo, until suppertime, when the rest of the adults came over for supper. It was great just relaxing and not having any set schedule!
Sunday was bright and sunny with a cold, brisk wind blowing - I for one wished it was warmer!! Just doesn't seem right to be cold on Easter!
The service was good and I really felt the Lord's presence, particlarly during the song service. After service, we all gathered at Uncle Mike and Aunt Ruth's house for a delicious meal and some very yummy pies!!!
Personally, I feel like our Easter family pictures were pretty much a dud, but at least we have them :) Katie was hungry and ready for a nap and Katrina was more interested in playing than pictures :) When the weather gets warmer, I think we'll try getting some family pics again.
We had a really wonderful time and that is what counts!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The girls dresses are so adorable! Isn't is a blast dressing the munchkins up in the same clothes!? Like having live dolls!

Great pictures! You guys all look great!