Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Goin' Bananas

Do you ever go through a food 'trend' at your house? You know, where you just can't get enough of a certain thing. That's what we have been doing with bananas. First, I made a really quick Cinnamon-Spiced Bananas. So quick to make and eat that I didn't stop to take any pictures :) I think this recipe would also be great for a spur-of-the-moment-not-expecting-company-dessert.


Cinnamon-Spiced Bananas

3 large bananas, sliced
3 tsp. brown sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter
1 cup reduced-fat vanilla ice-cream

Place bananas in a small microwave-safe bowl. Top with the next three ingredients. Dot with butter. Cover and microwave on high for 1-2 min or until sugar is melted, stirring once. Spoon banana mixture into bowls; top with ice-cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings

Try it...your taste buds will thank you!

Next I needed a dessert recipe for our youth zone rally. I found a recipe for Banana-Chip Mini Cupcakes, I prefer to call them mini muffins because they don't have a major sweet factor like cupcakes do. Another plus is that the frosting is not messy like a typical cupcake frosting.

Banana-Chip Mini Muffins
1 pck. (14 0z) banana quick bread and muffin mix
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 Tbsp. shortening

In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, water, sour cream and egg; stir just until moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375* for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 min. before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. For frosting, in a small microwave-safe bowl, melt shortening and remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 3.5 dozen.

Then while clipping online coupons, I found a coupon for these Banana Nut cheerios! Oh my, were they good and now they are gone. The girls and I made quick work of this box :) I added the fresh sliced bananas myself - made it even better!

and just so you know...bananas were mentioned 12 times in this post :) more importantly....

I'd like to wish my Father-in-Law, David, a very Happy Birthday today!

1 comments:

Brittany said...

Those muffins look SO good! My hubby's Mom makes some banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that he has always loved. And yes, We go through food phases, too!